Thursday, October 9, 2008

Checking In


So it’s 2:00 in the morning and I can’t sleep; which I blame on my mother and my grandmother – it seems that bad sleeping habits are genetic and I inherited the problem from them.

This fall is proving to be extremely busy. I’ve been accepting more teaching positions (which is a good thing) and this semester at Western Kentucky is kicking my butt. Graduation is about a year away; but then I head right into work on my Master’s so it’s really a lot further away than that; definitely worth it – I do recommend that you figure out what you want to be when you grow up and get your schooling in before a husband and kids (oh and before you hit 40).

We go, this coming Tuesday, for Nikki’s new pump start up – she’ll be an official “Cozmo Girl” at that point and she’s very PUMPED – am I not funny ☺!

I’ve been reading this amazing book that I sort of stumbled upon while doing research for one of my classes and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone: It’s called “Schuyler’s Monster”. It’s about a little girl with a chronic illness that is very rare, it’s a true story told from and through the eyes of her dad, who is an amazingly gifted writer – Robert Hummel-Hudson; in fact I’m hoping to obtain permission to link his blog with mine, so check back from time to time to see if it’s on Our Favorite Links at the bottom.

This is pretty much a RANDOM blog because things have been relatively quiet, which means only the NORMAL highs and lows; no unconscious events, or extreme numbers and yes I should know better than to actually say things are okay out loud, or in writing, but there it is. Amber and Bryan returned from their Texas trip this past week -- Amber had a wonderful time with her best friend, Khadija. My Aunt has come through her surgery well enough and is finally out of the hospital; to top off a semi-calm (but incredibly busy) few days.....this evening we had our weekly youth group meeting here at our house. This usually means about 22 - 26 middle school kids in our home, every Wednesday night for about 2 hours. It's a great bunch of kids and they have a blast. Tonight, for example, 2 of the boys had a hot dog eating contest and ate until one of them threw up (and when he was done he ate some more, he was the champion after all - way to go Drew); how can you top that kind of fun? It's moments and evenings like these that we are able to put the uncertainty, frustration, worry and all the other 'stuff' that hovers around diabetes on the back burner and enjoy life.

I’m sure I’ll have lots to report next Tuesday when Nik Nak is hooked up with her new Kentucky Blue Cozmo Girl Pump.

Until then……..

1 comments:

All 4 My Gals said...

Good luck with the new pump!

And get some sleep! HUGS