Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Trip to the Movies





It’s about 1:45 a.m. on Sunday morning, which really isn’t that late for me. I come from a long line of non-sleepers and I’m pretty sure both my girls inherited that particular strand of DNA as well. I took the girls and a group of friends to see Twilight last night, we had a great time. It was more than worth it just to sit and listen to all the gasps and giggles from the countless number of female teenagers in the audience.

It struck me that it was one of those moments that Nikki wasn’t thinking about her diabetes – well, let me rephrase that. She stopped thinking about her diabetes after she bolused for the drink and nachos she was eating – as I began to mentally calculate how many carbs were in the nachos, she leaned over and said “there are 18 carbs, I already figured it out” – Anyway, AFTER she bolused, she became one of the giggling, gasping girls in the audience and it was so nice to just sit there and enjoy being with them.

This coming Tuesday is Nikki’s 5th grade field trip to our State capital, Frankfort. Everyone is so excited; the school rents Coach buses for the 5th grade classes, so they’ll be watching movies on the way down and back, plus lunch near the Capital and a tour of the building as well as the State Senate. It’s hard to believe that this will be my last 5th grade field trip as a mom. I’ve actually been doing a lot of tallying those kinds of things this year; last Halloween Party, last 5th Grade Field Trip, last Christmas Party – all this being a “last” as the mom of an elementary school student. Next year I will have a middle schooler and a high schooler, UUUGGGHHH. I’m ashamed to admit how many times I’ve found myself tearing up at that thought of this school year.

We are preparing for Thanksgiving in Lexington with my parents and then a weekend of movies (TWILIGHT again) and decorating the house. In spite of the craziness of our lives with diabetes, we truly do have much to be thankful for.

1 comments:

Jill said...

Ohhh fun fun!!! Those are great pics :)

After hearing about all the hype over the movie, I bought the book on Friday night and....read it in less than 24 hours!!! LOL I couldnt put it down :) Now Im excited to see the movie!

I remember getting choked up when Kayleigh moved to middle school and then even more when she went to high school...but those "lasts" will be replaced with "firsts" again...like sports awards ceremonies, boyfriends, etc. I now find myself looking forward instead of looking back so much :)

Have a safe trip for Thanksgiving!