Thursday, December 4, 2008

Crazy, Crazy, Busy, Busy











Wow! It’s been a long, crazy, busy 2 weeks. Last week, on Tuesday, Nikki’s class took their annual 5th grade field trip to Frankfort, Kentucky. We went to the Capitol Building, the old Capitol Building and the History Museum. It was a fun trip. Nikki even stopped Kentucky State Senator, Damon Thayer, to introduce herself and tell him she was hoping to go to Washington this Spring, to talk about diabetes.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. We were able to spend the day with our family in Lexington. Towards the end of the evening, Nikki’s pump beeped at her and told her there was a blockage – which means she wasn’t getting insulin (and we didn’t know for how long). She was high and had ketones. I had to insert another site, etc. etc. After that was done, I sent Nikki in to Nini’s room (my mom, her grandmother) to get her coat. When she didn’t come out right away, I went to check on her. She was standing in the room crying silently. It sucks (excuse the language) to have to deal with diabetes problems on Thanksgiving. She got through that rather rapidly and moved on, like she always does.

Bryan, the girls and I have the house decorated for Christmas, all 5 trees are up! It looks great – if I do say so myself. I’ve had finals all week for my own coursework and it’s taken several hours every night to get all the work done; that’s after teaching all day and all the other stuff that most busy people have to do. The good news is I’m done with all but one exam until January!!!! Yaaaahhhhooooo!!

Last night Nikki had another unexplained high. It took a while to get it down and that meant she didn’t get a great night's sleep. So now it’s 8:30 a.m. and I still haven’t gotten her up for school (which I am getting ready to do). I wanted her to have a little bit of extra sleep since tonight is dance class – it’s also parent observation night which means LOTS of new dance pictures!!!

0 comments: