Monday, December 29, 2008

Life Is Strange


Life can be so very strange.

We’ve had a great Christmas, but as is the normal for our winter months, it also involved Nikki being sick. Along with having type 1 diabetes, Nikki has an almost non-existent immune system and is sick a great deal in the winter months. Though the constant illnesses are not caused by diabetes, they are complicated by diabetes. She spent the overnight hours on Christmas Eve throwing up every hour; that ceased around 4:30 a.m. Christmas morning. She was feeling well enough to open her presents and gradually felt better as the day went on. Like always, she kept on keeping on.

We left for Gatlinburg, Tennessee on the 27th with our church youth group. We took around 60 or so teenagers for a weekend of Christian concerts and amazing speakers. Nikki wasn’t able to get all the way through the first night, but after having the stomach flu a couple of days before, she was simply worn out. She woke up Sunday morning refreshed and ready to go. We were blessed with a weekend of praising the Lord, great friends and wonderful memories. Thankfully, Nikki is feeling pretty great.

When I got home today, I checked my facebook account and found out that a friend from my school days received some bad news this morning. Her name is Nicole and her blog “All 4 of My Gals” is linked through mine at the very bottom of the page. One of Nicole’s lovely daughter’s has Downe Syndrome and I have found her story, her faith and her energy to be very helpful to my own journey. This morning another of Nicole’s daughters’ was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Nicole and I hadn’t seen or spoke to each other for almost 25 years, until we both joined Facebook (along with about 70 or so classmates at about the same time). How strange and wonderful it is that God would bring so many of us together at a time in our lives when we can really draw strength from the trials and journeys we have each faced and taken.

Like I said, life can be strange; but once again God has shown me just how great he is and how much he cares about every second of every day for every one of us. Please join me in praying for Nicole and her daughter Emery; the coming days, weeks and years will be tough (as we all know).

5 comments:

All 4 My Gals said...

Thanks honey. I covet those prayers. God is good and I am thankful that He put you back in my life when I will need you so much. Love to you!

All 4 My Gals said...

Thanks honey. I covet those prayers. God is good and I am thankful that He put you back in my life when I will need you so much. Love to you!

Melissa Willis said...

I'm sorry Nik was so sick! Bless her heart, I wish diabetes was something I could physically strangle! It is so unfair that she never gets a day off! I am so thankful that she started feeling better in time to still enjoy the weekend! Please know that Nikki is in our every prayer and that we will add your friend also! I believe in my whole heart that God will allow someone to find a cure soon! Love you guys bunches-give Nik hugs and kisses from us!

Jill said...

Awwww that pic makes my heart cry! It reminds me of those "bad days" that Kacey has! Please hug her for us :)

I wanted you to know I was praying for your friend. I went over to her blog and posted to her as well. She hasn't responded to me yet. I'm glad she got her to a hospital because I was scared for her! I asked her to find out what her A1c was and what her blood sugar numbers were. I'll continue to pray for them :)

Talk to you soon ;) :D :) :P (heehee!)

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am definitely delighted to find this. Good job!