Sunday, December 14, 2008

This-n-That-n-This


It feels so strange to have all this extra time. With finals behind me, I feel like I have more time than I know what to do with. Bryan is heading out to Puerto Rico for the week; he leaves tomorrow morning. After that, we’ll have a full 2 weeks of family together time – which is much needed and always enjoyed.

Nikki is adjusting really well to her Cozmo. In fact, most of the time she gives herself insulin and THEN tells me about it. That works okay because the Cozmo will calculate carbs for her; and because she eats the same things, so she has the carb content memorized for each serving of her favorite foods.

The one thing Nikki is insisting on is the use of Emla cream before a new site insertion. I can’t say I blame her. Emla numbs the area, so she doesn’t feel it when I put the new cannula (which is basically an I.V.) in. We change every 2 days and if I can elminate even one ‘poke’ - I will.

Her fingers are looking terrible these days. Just coming off some incidents of ketones – which cause her to have to check her blood sugar even more often than our normal 9 times a day – a couple of her fingers are literally black on the tips. It’s heartbreaking to see, but she doesn’t even notice anymore – and never really complains. I put bandaids on the fingers that are really bad, to help remind her to use other fingers for testing.

All for now ……..

1 comments:

Jill said...

Awwww it sounds like Nikki is really doing well with the Cozmo. We're still really torn between the Cozmo and the Minimed. I keep going back and forth and just when I think I've made my mind up then it switches. I think once we go to pump classes and we have them in our hands then I am going to let Kacey make the ultimate decision.

You have anything planned for your "together time" for those 2 weeks?