Monday, January 26, 2009

We Won't Be Testing for Ketones


So here I go blogging for the 3rd time today – but this was too good to wait! In my earlier blog I indicated that Nikki has a UTI and that the doc gave her something for the pain when she uses the restroom. The med is called Pyridium and it turns urine orange, which I forgot about.

Anyway, we just checked blood sugars for dinner and, of course, Nikki is still struggling with high numbers (308, 309 and now 385) –even after a site change this afternoon. I told her to go on and test ketones just to be sure before we eat dinner. A few minutes later she yells “MOM, I can’t tell”. I’m thinking ‘what do you mean you can’t tell’?

Now, here is a tip that all us T1 parents/caregivers/people need to remember. When you take Pyridium for a UTI you cannot test ketones. The entire strip turns ORANGE and this is not a choice on the test strip. I’m thinking it would have been really dark orange if she had ketones – so I’m going with negative. Guess we won't be testing ketones for a couple of days.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.
Jane

Jane said...

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.
Jane

The Turner's said...

Jane, we miss you! Thanks so much for keeping up with us. Come join the Kenton gang on Facebook (even Jackie is there now)