Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tonsillectomy Tuesday, part 1





Today has been a very long and emotional day, but I can’t say that it hasn’t also been a blessing. We woke Nikki up at 5:00 a.m. this morning because we had to have her at Children’s by 6:00 a.m., her surgery was scheduled to start at 7:30 a.m. We have had nothing but great experiences at Children’s and today was no exception. They got Nikki right in and treated her like a little princess. The longer she sat in her room waiting for surgery to start to the more nervous she became. Nikki’s body reacts with high blood sugars when she is emotional for any reason (good or bad), so I was a little worried that she would skyrocket before they could start surgery. They gave her something to help settle her down and her blood sugar was 255 going in for the procedure. Not good, but not terrible either considering the situation. Nikki came out of surgery in a very teary state, she was crying and saying “I hate this” none of which she remembers. Bryan and I immediately went to her, one on each side. I’m leaning over saying, in my best mommy soothing voice “it’s okay baby, it’s all done, Mommy’s here”. She looked up at me with very foggy, tearfilled eyes and said “I want Amber”. WELL, humph. You gotta laugh. It does do my heart good that both of my girls were completely focused on each other today. I have much more to blog regarding the events of today but I’ll save that for tomorrow. Nikki was doing well enough all around that they let her come home this afternoon. As of this evening, she’s drinking wonderfully and sitting up. She’s in quite a bit of pain and her blood sugars are bouncing around a little; but so far, so good.

At this point in my blogging I need to mention few things that are really important to our family. First, and this one is solely for Nikki, we gave Nikki an official “Dr. Nikki Mouse – No Sugar Needed” mouse before the medicine kicked in this morning; which brought a smile to her extremely stressed little self. Check out the picture of Nikki and her Mouse. Second, “The Bills”. No I’m not talking about money or something we need to pay. We have a wonderful church family who are very near and dear to our hearts; there are too many people at Hickory Grove that are important to us for me to mention them all; however, I would like to specifically thank 2 people (and their wonderful wives). Brother Bill Clark and Brother Bill Risher – ‘The Bills’. I’m not entirely sure that these 2 friends/pastors of ours realize how important they are to our family. Each man has baptized one of my children and they have been involved in almost every single monumental event that has occurred in our family since my kids were babies. For instance, tonight I was reflecting on them being there with us this morning while we waited for Nikki’s surgery to begin, and then it dawned on me that almost exactly 6 years ago Brother Bill Risher and his wife Sherry were at that same hospital with me, Amber, Nikki and Bryan – the day Nikki was diagnosed with T1. I wanted to say a specific thank you both of these amazing men and their families, you are more important than you know.

Third, to all our family and friends who come from very different parts of our lives – thank you for the prayers, texts, e-mails and phone calls. You lifted us up and we can’t thank you enough. We realize that a tonsillectomy is a fairly routine process, but when you combine it with T1, a UTI and a chronic sinus infection, it gets a little scary. When Nikki came out of surgery her blood sugar level was an almost perfect number – 155 – that was definitely an answer to many prayers.

Lastly, thank you to Melissa and Brooke for all your love and constant understanding. Brooke and Melis came by this evening and brought Nikki flowers and a balloon. You are truly family and I’m hoping you already know what you mean to us.

To be continued tomorrow…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jami Moore-schlesser says so happy nikki is doing well. she is such a brave young girl. xoxo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So glad that Nikki is doing so well!!!! Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers

Anonymous said...

Shawn Rae Murdock wrote Sheri, hope Nikki is still doing well. We'll keep praying for her recovery.

Anonymous said...

Great! Keep us udated. She has alot of people prayin'

Anonymous said...

Great! Keep us udated. She has alot of people prayin'

Anonymous said...

Amy Miller says thinking and praying for your little one sheri!!

Anonymous said...

Darlene Day Madden says Lots of love for you and Nikki and of course prayers

Anonymous said...

Mackenzie Grubbs says Keep Me Updated!