Tuesday, March 24, 2009

School Walk for Diabetes


Nikki was amazing again today! Today is Diabetes Alert Day and, as I’ve mentioned before, the wonderful (and much loved) Nurse Paula took it upon herself to get Nikki’s class and 3 other classes involved in an ADA School Walk for Diabetes to bring awareness to this disease. Nikki and Paula did a presentation about diabetes this morning; then two 5th grade classes used their gym time to ‘walk for a cure’ – they even raised money for the event. Nikki spoke to the group as a whole before they started walking and then, at the end of the day, her wonderful teacher (who is also much loved) Kim Laughlin allowed the kids to keep asking Nikki questions; they ran out of time this morning. We are truly blessed to have so many wonderful friends and caregivers in our lives.

Let me just take a minute to talk about - and to - Nurse Paula. In my experiences over the last 6 years, I know that many, many families struggle when they send their child to school because of lack of support. I am blessed to be able to say that I don’t have that problem; I (we) have Paula. She goes over and above for Nikki (well, all her students). So thank you Paula for all your efforts in caring for my child, being willing to learn whatever new pump we are using and all the other ‘stuff’ that goes into the daily care of diabetes. You are a treasure and, as Nikki leaves Kenton this year, you will always remain one of the most important parts of her elementary years. Thank you. Are you SURE I can’t take you with us?


Today was a good day.


video

0 comments: