Monday, April 13, 2009

Diabetes in the Sky


My husband, Bryan, travels for work each week. Most of the time he drives, but every now and then he is going far enough that he has to fly. Last week was a flying week and it was a long one. He boarded the plane to come home today in an exhausted frame of mind and was focused on getting home. On his way down the plane’s isle he noticed a middle aged lady struggling with a blood glucose meter; she was seated in his row. He didn’t want to be rude by staring at her, but being the dad of a T1 he could tell something was ‘off’. He finally scooted over toward the lady and said “do you need help”. She was very unfocused and in an obvious “low” state; she said “I think I’m 49”. He took her meter and looked at it, it actually read “40”. He got the flight attendant’s attention and told her to bring some orange juice. The lady had a little bit of orange juice in a cup in front of her but was unfocused enough that she wasn’t remembering to drink it. Bryan coaxed her to drink the remaining juice then told her she would need long lasting carbs to go with the o.j.

Now this is where I will say my hubby is a true hero. He actually dared to go into the unknown depths of a woman’s (a stranger’s) purse -- with her permission and direction -- to search for peanut butter crackers; which he found. He sat with her until her blood sugar returned to normal and he was sure she was okay. After they arrived home and had departed the plane, she stopped him and told him she didn’t know what would have happened to her if he hadn’t been there. Now that is a total God moment.

As it turned out the lady was only diagnosed 2 years ago; her diagnosis came in the middle of tragedy. She was driving her car and passed out at the wheel; the result was a 5 car pileup on an interstate. Bryan didn’t feel comfortable enough to ask if anyone was seriously injured, but her story definitely highlights the dangers that T1s have to face every day – just doing the things that most people take for granted.

When I reflect on his trip home it just amazes me. Think about it, on this plane full of people there was only 1 person on it that had the ability to recognize the signs of an extreme low just by looking at the woman. Things could have turned out much differently for her; but God placed them both at the same spot, in the same pocket of time. Amazing, just amazing.

9 comments:

Jill said...

O-M-G!!! This gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes!! You know, it's amazing how God places you right where you need to be just at the right time. This woman had already suffered so much with that car accident and it just wasn't her time to go yet...then this low and once again it isnt her time to go! Great job Brian for knowing the signs and acting on them :) Another "hero" makes his mark!

No Sugar Needed said...

Jill, thank you for your kind word, you have me all teary :-D

:) Tracie said...

God is good!

So is your husband! Proof that out of the bad comes good. Bad meaning diagnosis, good meaning this incident and having the knowledge to help.

Briana said...

Omg, this seriously almost made me cry! :.( I'm so glad he was able to help her! I'm proud that was my daddy lol :)

Paula Lee said...

Hey son in law, I am always proud of you, but even more so after reading this. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Stacy Turner Gaylor said: Who would of thought - my dad a hero (haha)!!! Your web site is completely amazing. You have done such a wonderful job on it!

Anonymous said...

NIKKI TURNER says "My Daddy is AMAZING"

Anonymous said...

Amber Turner says "I'm proud of my Daddy"

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed this blog and haven't heard this story!! I was looking through for ones I hadn't read! Way to go Bryan! That took so much courage on his part! He is a hero! It is amazing how God prepares us and moves us at just the right time! Thanks for sharing this very special moment! Melis :)