Tuesday, May 5, 2009

LARGE Ketones


There are some days that I can say, in a very un-ladylike fashion, DIABETES SUCKS. Nikki has had a run of really great health, fairly good numbers and perfect school attendance. Today is the first official day of CATS testing, so of course, we hit a bump.

Sometime between my 2 a.m. blood check and ‘time to get up’ this morning at 7 a.m. she had a site or pump issue (it’s honestly a mystery at this point) all I know is that her pump ‘said’ “delivery stopped” and my heart along with it. I grabbed her meter, blood sugar was 476. I got her awake enough to go to the restroom to check ketones – LARGE. *@%#!!!!!

I changed her insulin cartridge, changed her site, changed the battery, called school, cancelled my sub job for today (sorry Jenny) and proceeded to hover over Nikki. We are finally down to TRACE ketones – it’s 2:45 p.m. -- and her blood sugar has been back down to about 120 or so since around 10:30 this morning. What a frustrating day; but things seem to be back to normal now, that’s pretty much how diabetes works. It tends to semi-hide for a while then swoop in, screw things up and go right back to its semi-hiding spot.

Now we focus on tomorrow, which WILL be a great day.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Isn't it frustrating?? Those are the days I also scream DIABETES SUCKS!!!!!

Momof4 said...

I know what you mean! I am glad you found it right away though. It doesn't take long for it to nip!!

Dr. Ordon plastic surgeon said...

This is a life of a diabetic when there is more fellow feeling and good and happy and sad sharing which is absolutely necessary.people are so busy they don;t have time to say a Hi leave alone sitting with a diabetic...the online help is overwhelming.