Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This Ain't Nothin'

Pictured Above: A Few Daily Realities for Life with T1 and Celiac


I was listening to the song "This Ain't Nothin'" by Craig Morgan today and I realized how enormously -- and simply -- true the song's message is. The monotony of life tends to overcome us as we go about the business of day to day living. Often, that monotony tricks us into focusing on petty, unimportant moments which can consume us, if we aren't paying attention.

One of the many lessons I've learned in the years since Nikki's T1 diagnosis, and the recent months with her additional diagnosis of Celiac, is that life is too short to let insignificant 'things' become a significant part of your life. I was joking with my mother yesterday that I just wanted everyone to learn to get along (to which she responded "you sound like a flower child"...okay, so my mom gets me). I realize wanting everyone to 'just get along' may be naive; but seriously, wouldn't it be wonderful?

As I watch my daughter face and battle diabetes and celiac disease every hour of every day (something she will do for the rest of her life), I am constantly reminded of what is really important and what is not. Nikki (and all others in her boat) not only have to face life & death every day, but since they don't "look sick" they also face the reality that the majority of the world just simply does not understand diabetes or celiac; and they do not understand the seriousness and life changing consequences of those illnesses. There are many times I feel like saying to other people "give me a break, trying dealing with what my 13 year old deals with and then come to me and complain about your life" -- of course, I don't actually come out and say it. I do try to remember that everyone has to deal with what life throws at them -- real or imagined, big or small -- in their own way.

So anyway.......this rather 'ranty' blog was totally inspired by Craig Morgan's song. It is not meant to sound like a pity party or anything remotely close to that. After listening to and thinking about the words to that song, I truly found myself wishing that someday every person, everywhere, will have that one moment of pure and absolute clarity in their life, when they realize "this ain't nothing".

0 comments: