Sunday, February 26, 2012

We Paid WHAT???!!!


As the parent of a T1 who is winding up her 8th "live-a-betes" year (that's diabetes language for: she's had T1 for almost 9 years and she's only 14), I KNOW all the statistics regarding the cost of living with this disease. People living with the disease have medical expenses at a rate that's two times higher than for those living without it. In 2007, U.S. citizens spent a combined 174 BILLION dollars on medical expenses - directly and indirectly related to diabetes.

This year we have simply been blown out of the water with medical bills -- and we have great insurance! It's one thing to read the stats and shake your head, and another thing COMPLETELY to realize that your family of 4 people has spent a total, out-of-pocket, of $13,000 on medical bills in ONE YEAR. 92%of that cost was due to T1 and our newest addition, Celiac Disease.

As if that's not enough of a financial hit, we had to PAY the federal government $52 in federal taxes because we supposedly just make too much money. Oh really? I suppose I'm driving a 13 year old car because I love it so much I can't part with it. I'm just so dang angry. I believe the majority of my anger comes from the fact that I know one day all these bills will - technically - be Nikki's responsibilty and that just stinks. Of course, we will never not be her partners in this fight -- financially and emotionally; but if I needed another reason to get remotivated on fundraising and education efforts, this was it.

Hoping, praying and demanding a cure!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really sucks in a major way. That is a lot of money.